Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Finish Wiring Home for Internet

If all the cat5 cables go from room to basement, and you have the cable from
the ISP in the basement, the easiest thing to do is buy a patch panel for
Ethernet. It will be color coded for both wiring standards, not knowing
which standard the room jacks are wired to. You'll need a punchdown tool to
install the cat 5 wires on it. It will have female cat5 jacks on it. You
will purchase short patch cables to connect from the patch panel to the
router, which you will install near by and connect to the modem

"Kbalz" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought a house, its wiring for cable/internet in each bedroom.
However, in the basement, there is a large trunk of un-terminated
wires, so its not 100% ready.

I need to know exactly how to finish this wiring please!

2nd floor - Office. This room has a female CAT 5 jack built in the
wall. The cord in the basement has no end on it. I've already toned
which wire it is. The cable internet also was hooked to this room (by
isp). So this room has 2 PCs, Router, Cable Modem, and the un-used
cat5 port in the wall. Both PCs are online already.

1st floor - Living Room - Also an unused CAT5 jack built in the wall.
I've toned the cord to the basement, it also has a clean cut end.

Basement - The trunk of cords comes down here.

I have a really old Lynsys "hub" its an old loooking device, has
Collision lights on it .. I doubt its a router or a switch.

Here is what I was guessing:

Male-to-Male plug from router to 2nd floor wall jack. Terminate both
basement cords with female ends (not sure what config to use "A" or
"B").. Take those new female ends, and male-to-male from them to this
hub I have. Then male-to-male from my xbox to the 1st floor wall
jack..

Is that right? What config to I use on the basement females? Is there
any way to just slam these two basement cords together? Any help,
thanks!