Posted to rec.woodworking
GROVER GROVER is offline

Default Buy wood screw assortment packs? (online USA)

On Jul 2, 7:42 pm, Peter Huebner wrote:
In article .com,
says...

Probably better to buy screws by the hundred box as you need them.

What surprised me at first was, how a box of 1000 usually only costs as much as
2 or 3 100-packs. What surprised me even more was how quickly they're gone ;-)

Those 'self-counter-sinking' screws are fine in plywood and softwood but I
don't like using them with MDF since they often throw up a ridge around the
head, so I use a countersink bit regardless. They don't work in hard wood. And
they stink for screwing on metal hardware. Ironically, screws that don't have
the ridges are harder to get in these parts now - I often have to put in a
special order for them.

I use stainless with square drive almost exclusively these days. Price
difference is negligible in bulk amounts.

-P.

Since this thread is wandering a bit off the OP's topic I will add one
more story. A good many years ago I started a small cabinet making
business after a career as an engineer. I bought the new tools I
needed from a small shop who carried professional quality tools,
supplies and provided sharpening services. He eventually focused
solely on sharpening and told me that the BORG was selling tools for
less than he had to pay at wholesale.
Joe G