Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
NoOne N Particular NoOne N Particular is offline

Default A Sewing Machine For The Workshop

Pogonip wrote:
NoOne N Particular wrote:
However, what I wanted to say in responding to your question is that I
would suggest you find one that has a reverse. Mine doesn't. I have
found myself wishing that I had a reverse a few times like for tacking
the end of a stitch, etc. What I have to do is either 1). Lift the
foot and drag the piece back a little, drop the foot, and go again.
This leaves a long piece of the thread open where you moved the piece
but it works. or 2), Turn the piece around. This is ok for smaller
pieces, but when I was re-stitching my boat cover it was a little
impractical.

Wayne

Do you have a stitch length lever? If so, lower the number of stitches
at the end of your seam to make very small stitches close together.
Nearly on top of each other. I do that, not with the stitch lever, but
by holding the fabric under the needle for the last 3 or 4 stitches,
which does lock the end of the seam. You may find it easier to use the
stitch length lever.

The stitch length IS adjustable, but not while the machine is running, and not
easily done with a heavy load of fabric on the bed. To change the stitch length
you have to have the machine at a very specific point on it's rotation, then
press a button on the bed of the machine and turn the hand wheel until the
number of stitches per inch appears in a hole on the front of the machine. I
think I might try the other technique of trying to slow the fabric so the
stitches are closer together. Hadn't thought of that one.

Wayne