Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Which angle grinder?

On 2007-07-03 14:00:58 +0100, "JoeJoe" said:

Looking for one to cut a few (not many) relatively thin concrete slabs.
Never used or owned one before, so don't know what to look for. I thought
that a 4.5" would be ok (will it?), and just buy a big pack of stone cutting
disks from Screwfix - they look cheap enough.

The ones below seem ok to me. Any recommendation? I suspect that once this
job is done I will not be using it for more than a couple of times a year.

Any tip will be much appreciated.

Either the Bosch or the DeWalt would be good in this small size. I
have something similar to the Bosch one and it has been fine.

However, I don't think that this is going to have enough cutting depth
for paving slabs - even thin ones, and will struggle anyway.

Really you need a 230mm one.

I researched these because I had a need for one a few months ago.
Bosch and Metabo had the best reviews and the antivibration handles
make a big difference in use.

In the end I settled on the Metabo because it came with a couple of
good quality cutting disks. Prices were about the same at around £79
at the time. I got mine from Lawson HIS because of best price but
it does vary.

If you feel that your usage rate doesn't make this worth it, then I
would look at the rental places - cost is about £12 a day.