Posted to alt.home.repair
orcl orcl is offline

Default My gate won't close

On Jul 2, 7:49 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
On Jul 2, 4:21 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 06:17:43 +0000, adgold10 wrote:
On Jul 1, 1:12 am, wrote:
I have a wrought irongate, and my fence has moved so it does not shut
anymore. There are no springs, adjustments etc. The top of thegate
just moved a bit, and it is getting stuck on the bolt holding the
stationary iron tube to the wall. The nut is flush with the end of the
bolt.
I was thinking I could notch thegatewith a hacksaw, and buy myself
some time. I've talked to a fence company who says he can do something
for $100-$150. Sounds expensive, and he's being secretive about what
he will do.
Any help would be appreciated.

OK, more info was needed.
1) Smitty, a picture was sent to you. I don't think I can post pics to
this group.

Post pics to tinypic.com, paste the url here.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5xz81gm
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=61xvf6g
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=53ts01t

Thanks for the url, that will come in handy.

Ah, you're back. Those pics are a good start. Not sure whether I
understand what's binding, but it sounds like you could take a grinder
to the bolt head (or nut?) and make it thinner?

Now were talking! Maybe I can buy a thinner nut, then use my hacksaw
on the bolt the protrudes from the wall.
Hopefully this won't cause a bigger problem when it has to be
professionally repaired.