Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default My gate won't close

In article ,
mm wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 07:01:31 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

Sometimes you can use a car jack and a 4 x 4 post cut to size between the
openings of a gate to move the posts further apart. Just keep jacking until
the post(s) have moved where they need to be. Do this near the ground.

If you are going to do this, soak the ground first. Get it soaking
wet. So the post will move without bending or breaking.

I"ve done this for a wooden fence post, that held a gate that was
sagging, but I disconnected the fence first. The OP doesn't say what
kind of fence he has, and he should have, because there are several
kinds of fence that might have a wrought iron gate. So I can't tell
if it is possble to disconnect the fence, or what will happen if he
doesn't, because each material, and other details, are different.

The OP emailed a pic to me, I posted it:

http://members.cox.net/prestwich/Gate.jpg