Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Troy Bilt won't start

wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:57:15 -0500, dpb wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:52:00 -0500, dpb wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:26:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
Steve wrote:

Have a 10 year old Troy Bilt. It has always started on the 3rd pull.
Saturday I mowed my front yard, then then Sunday it started fine, but
I ran out of gas. Filled it up and it won't start now.
That gas you put in was new fresh gas with Stabil or such in it I hope.
Surely you didn't
uselast years gas.
Last year's gas, other than being just a little harder starting
initially, is just fine...

He said he ran it empty so certainly wasn't the issue...
When it ran out of gas, it either sucked up water or sediment from the bottom of
the tank. Time to pull the carb and clean it.
Undetermined...he said it wouldn't start on starter fluid which would
strongly indicate no spark. But, of course, he could have also plugged
up the jets so badly as to not get any into the engine, but that's
getting really hard...

Not enough info...
The engine which seemed to be running okay ceased to work after running the tank
dry. Old proverb: When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses before you look for
zebras.

Yeahbut we don't even know these events were closely connected in time...

"Saturday I mowed my front yard, then then Sunday it started fine, but
I ran out of gas. Filled it up and it won't start now. "

Old proverb: When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses before you look for
zebras.

I'd forgotten he actually said that and not disagreeing other than the
starter fluid is a puzzle to me even tho the first assumption would be
fuel...

Second proverb -- "stuff happens".