Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default inside of house does not cool off... at all?

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
Bob M. wrote:
"David Combs" wrote in message
In article . com,
N8N wrote:
On Jun 2, 10:06 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

When the sun hits the glass, not so much. Our retractable
awnings are an
absolute neccesity.

Ah, awnings. They were on most every house when I was a kid, a
long time
ago. Now we just stick a cooker box in the window and suck up
electricity
instead. A decent tree can cool your house as much as a 12000 Btu
AC and at
no cost.

So, why not awnings? Better, maybe, retractable awnings.

If they worked back then, wouldn't they still at least *help* now?

Or maybe the beauty-police would deem them "ugly" and thus
"unacceptable" for *this* neighborhood?

The beauty police would write a ticket for awnings, and they're
pretty much unnecessary today with low-e thermopane glass.

Even with top of the line Milguard low e, awnings are a big necessity when
the sun is on the window glass for hours at a time.

Ok, I'll buy that. Here, on my ranch-style house, my roof overhang is about
2.5 feet which is great in the summer. The sun is high enough in the sky
that the roof blocks the sun from hitting the windows. In the winter when
the sun is much lower on the horizon, the sun does hit the windows, but who
cares in the winter.

I would put up trees if I could - that would be the best solution - but my
front yard which faces south is only 10 feet deep.