Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default inside of house does not cool off... at all?

"David Combs" wrote in message
In article . com,
N8N wrote:
On Jun 2, 10:06 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

When the sun hits the glass, not so much. Our retractable awnings
are an
absolute neccesity.

Ah, awnings. They were on most every house when I was a kid, a long
time
ago. Now we just stick a cooker box in the window and suck up
electricity
instead. A decent tree can cool your house as much as a 12000 Btu AC
and at
no cost.

So, why not awnings? Better, maybe, retractable awnings.

If they worked back then, wouldn't they still at least *help* now?

Or maybe the beauty-police would deem them "ugly" and thus
"unacceptable" for *this* neighborhood?

The beauty police would write a ticket for awnings, and they're pretty much
unnecessary today with low-e thermopane glass. Awnings only keep the sun
out, they don't stop the heat from radiating through the glass, nor do they
stop the ultraviolet rays. Low-e thermopane glass does all of that, and in
the winter the low-e coating keeps your heat inside the house.