Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Buy wood screw assortment packs? (online USA)

"Andy" wrote in message

I've found the assortment packs from Rockler to be very good quality
screws, and actually to be cheaper than buying the individual 100-
packs.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?sku=300&cs=1
These "Square-X" screws will drive with either a phillips (everyone
has one) or a square drive (works much better) bit. This combo pack
is only available online. Rockler are the only tapered head wood
screws I use now - don't bother with wood screws from Home Depot -
they're awful. One time I thought I'd save time by getting screws
there, and I twisted several heads off #10 screws. Waste of time and
money. And I haven't tried them, but McFeeley's wood screws are
supposed to be top of the line. They have combo packs also.

Voice of experience: Do NOT to trust Rockler screws for critical work, like
screwing adjacent cabinet face frames together!

Rockler screws are barely a cut above those you buy at the Borg's and, while
OK for many shop tasks, they simply will not perform like a quality screw.

It's pretty simple in this age of corporate greed ... if you need a wood
screw you can rely on, McFeely's is a good way to go.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07