Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Andy is offline

Default Buy wood screw assortment packs? (online USA)

I've found the assortment packs from Rockler to be very good quality
screws, and actually to be cheaper than buying the individual 100-
packs.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?sku=300&cs=1
These "Square-X" screws will drive with either a phillips (everyone
has one) or a square drive (works much better) bit. This combo pack
is only available online. Rockler are the only tapered head wood
screws I use now - don't bother with wood screws from Home Depot -
they're awful. One time I thought I'd save time by getting screws
there, and I twisted several heads off #10 screws. Waste of time and
money. And I haven't tried them, but McFeeley's wood screws are
supposed to be top of the line. They have combo packs also.

As far as countersinking, I have two suggestions: First, the Dewalt
tapered countersink bits (DW2567, DW2568) are the best ones I've tried
(better than Fuller or off-brands). These are available at Amazon and
my local TrueValue. Sometimes they go on sale at Amazon for about
$6.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
Second, If you want a separate countersink bit, which is sometimes
handy, I've found this type by Lee Valley to work very well. Easy to
use, cuts cleanly. http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41328
I just got one of these a couple weeks ago, and it's already earned a
permanent spot within easy reach by my bench. The Weldon brand
version of these countersinks is supposed to be top notch.

Hope this helps,
Andy