Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256 Rich256 is offline

Default auto air conditioner

On Jun 30, 5:04 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
Rich256 wrote:

In the mid 60s I had one that was leaking a pound or two a year. When
to an airconditioning store and bought a couple cans and a tapper
valve. They didn't sell kits and the guy at the store told me to
leave it to the "experts". Told him I was an expert (I had read about
how it worked). A lot easier back when they had sight glass so you
could see the bubbles/liquid coming out of the condenser. I still
have two or three one pound cans of R12 sitting on a shelf in the
garage. Price tag on them reads 99 cents!!

Wear goggles. That stuff can freeze your eyeballs.

A/C systems today are a lot different from those in the 60's. Just
slapping some more refrigerant in there can damage the system.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Same problem then. If you got liquid into the compressor it could
crack it. Still the same principal. Compress hot gas, cool it to a
liquid, let it expand again. But with the sight valve it was "too
easy" for the do it yourself guy. You could just "top it off" until
you got liquid out of the condenser. Wasn't necessarily full but it
was "good enough". Gauges were nice to have too.;