Posted to alt.home.repair

Default auto air conditioner

This is kinda sorta home repair. I need to recharge
the a/c on a 1999 chrysler and the local garage wants $124 to do the
job. That seems too high for me. Can I get a can of R134 from auto zone
and do it myself? If I can please tell me how to do it after I find the
leak. TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb and Eneva" wrote in message
This is kinda sorta home repair. I need to recharge
the a/c on a 1999 chrysler and the local garage wants $124 to do the
job. That seems too high for me. Can I get a can of R134 from auto zone
and do it myself? If I can please tell me how to do it after I find the
leak. TIA

I can, but I won't. Unless I could be with you to do it step by step, I'm
not going to expose myself to the liability as you will be dealing with very
high pressure. People have been seriously injured doing this seemingly
simple chore the wrong way. You also need gauges to get the right
pressure. It is not just a matter of putting some refrigerant into the
system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 1:47 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Herb and Eneva" wrote in ...

This is kinda sorta home repair. I need to recharge
the a/c on a 1999 chrysler and the local garage wants $124 to do the
job. That seems too high for me. Can I get a can of R134 from auto zone
and do it myself? If I can please tell me how to do it after I find the
leak. TIA

I can, but I won't. Unless I could be with you to do it step by step, I'm
not going to expose myself to the liability as you will be dealing with very
high pressure. People have been seriously injured doing this seemingly
simple chore the wrong way. You also need gauges to get the right
pressure. It is not just a matter of putting some refrigerant into the
system.

Edwin is right here. For only $124 its not to bad a deal. They will
probably be done with the vehicle faster anyway, plus they are the
ones liable for a screw up not you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb and Eneva wrote:
This is kinda sorta home repair. I need to recharge
the a/c on a 1999 chrysler and the local garage wants $124 to do the
job. That seems too high for me. Can I get a can of R134 from auto zone
and do it myself? If I can please tell me how to do it after I find the
leak. TIA

It "sounds easy" but it isn't really....

Auto AC systems have far less refrigerant storage capacity than they
used to, sometimes as low as a total weight of a pound and a half of gas.

Put in a little too much refrigerant and you stand a good chance of
having the compressor blow itself up trying to compress liquid.

Nothing about fixin' cars is as simple as it was years ago, dammit.

I used to be able to do stuff like recharge an car's AC with one hand
behind my back and my eyes closed. I even installed some aftermarket AC
systems in my own cars back around 1960 and they worked slicker than
snot on a brass doorknob too.

Now I find myself having to fix my cars with my checkbook more often
than with my tools.

Listen to the majority advice here and let someone with experience and
the proper equipment do the job. Use your time doing what you do for a
living and earn the bucks to pay for having the job done right.

Just my .02,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb and Eneva wrote:
This is kinda sorta home repair. I need to recharge
the a/c on a 1999 chrysler and the local garage wants $124 to do the
job. That seems too high for me. Can I get a can of R134 from auto zone
and do it myself? If I can please tell me how to do it after I find the
leak. TIA

Hi,
At least half of it is for the labor. If you know what you are doing
sure. Or you'll make even bigger problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jun 28, 3:22 pm, (Herb and Eneva) wrote:
This is kinda sorta home repair. I need to recharge
the a/c on a 1999 chrysler and the local garage wants $124 to do the
job. That seems too high for me. Can I get a can of R134 from auto zone
and do it myself? If I can please tell me how to do it after I find the
leak. TIA

I humbly disagree with the previous posts. Adding refrigerant is NBD.

Go to your favorite parts store or discounts store and pick up a kit
for about $20. It has a gauge, a hose, and a can of refrigerant.
Plus it has directions. While you are there, get another can of
refrigerant -- this one with a UV die in it so when it goes out of the
system, it leaves a trail for you to find the leak. After you've
found the leak, THEN take it to the shop for repair so you don't keep
killing the ozone.

While at the part store, ask then to help you find the low-side port
that is used to measure the pressure and add refrigerant. It is
usually right up front and has a blue or black cover on it.

Follow the directions precisely, including running the AC while
testing the pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb and Eneva writes:

Can I get a can of R134 from auto zone
and do it myself? If I can please tell me how to do it after I find the
leak.

Even if you could recharge it yourself, how do you expect to fix the leak?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb and Eneva wrote:
This is kinda sorta home repair. I need to recharge
the a/c on a 1999 chrysler and the local garage wants $124 to do the
job. That seems too high for me. Can I get a can of R134 from auto
zone and do it myself? If I can please tell me how to do it after I
find the leak. TIA

Not really a good idea with modern A/C units. First you can get
injured. Second you can damage the equipment. Third you will likely ignore
the leak that was the reason you needed a re-charge to being with. Last if
you don't get it right, while it may work, it may not work as intended.

Best bet is to have a good pro do the work. Look for a shop that
specializes in that work (often combined with radiator work). They will
generally be better at the work and more often than not cheaper than other
shops.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

if it still has some pressure in it , you can put a can of freon in it
,directions usually come with the kit . if you want to fix a leak,youll
have to open the system ,so youll have to have a vacume run on it before
new freon and oil goes back in ,so may be best to hire that done if you
dont have vacume pump,guages and know how. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair
SBH SBH is offline

"Herb and Eneva" wrote in message
This is kinda sorta home repair. I need to recharge
the a/c on a 1999 chrysler and the local garage wants $124 to do the
job. That seems too high for me. Can I get a can of R134 from auto zone
and do it myself? If I can please tell me how to do it after I find the
leak. TIA

Listen, er, or read the advice from the others carefully and consider it
thoroughly. I'm very mechanically inclined and I won't even touch the A/C
system. It's not as simple as it sounds. Let the pros do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 7:14 pm, wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 18:09:58 -0400, "SBH"
wrote:

"Herb and Eneva" wrote in message
This is kinda sorta home repair. I need to recharge
the a/c on a 1999 chrysler and the local garage wants $124 to do the
job. That seems too high for me. Can I get a can of R134 from auto zone
and do it myself? If I can please tell me how to do it after I find the
leak. TIA

Listen, er, or read the advice from the others carefully and consider it
thoroughly. I'm very mechanically inclined and I won't even touch the A/C
system. It's not as simple as it sounds. Let the pros do it.

How did this mistique come up around the primative AC system in a
****ing car? Everyone was working on them in the 70s and I don't
remember the horrific body count. I agree shooting a can of gas in an
old car is ****ing on the fire bit if it gets you through until
September, where is the harm?
If this fails again in a month he can always go watch the "pro" go on
a $2000 easter egg hunt through the system.
I guarantee they will not find a "half a can a month" leak without
replacing several parts.

In the mid 60s I had one that was leaking a pound or two a year. When
to an airconditioning store and bought a couple cans and a tapper
valve. They didn't sell kits and the guy at the store told me to
leave it to the "experts". Told him I was an expert (I had read about
how it worked). A lot easier back when they had sight glass so you
could see the bubbles/liquid coming out of the condenser. I still
have two or three one pound cans of R12 sitting on a shelf in the
garage. Price tag on them reads 99 cents!!

Wear goggles. That stuff can freeze your eyeballs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 15:32:10 -0700, Rich256
wrote:

In the mid 60s I had one that was leaking a pound or two a year. When
to an airconditioning store and bought a couple cans and a tapper
valve. They didn't sell kits and the guy at the store told me to
leave it to the "experts". Told him I was an expert (I had read about
how it worked). A lot easier back when they had sight glass so you

No sight glasses anymore! Dang.

could see the bubbles/liquid coming out of the condenser. I still
have two or three one pound cans of R12 sitting on a shelf in the
garage. Price tag on them reads 99 cents!!

Wear goggles. That stuff can freeze your eyeballs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rich256 wrote:

In the mid 60s I had one that was leaking a pound or two a year. When
to an airconditioning store and bought a couple cans and a tapper
valve. They didn't sell kits and the guy at the store told me to
leave it to the "experts". Told him I was an expert (I had read about
how it worked). A lot easier back when they had sight glass so you
could see the bubbles/liquid coming out of the condenser. I still
have two or three one pound cans of R12 sitting on a shelf in the
garage. Price tag on them reads 99 cents!!

Wear goggles. That stuff can freeze your eyeballs.

A/C systems today are a lot different from those in the 60's. Just
slapping some more refrigerant in there can damage the system.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 5:04 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
Rich256 wrote:

In the mid 60s I had one that was leaking a pound or two a year. When
to an airconditioning store and bought a couple cans and a tapper
valve. They didn't sell kits and the guy at the store told me to
leave it to the "experts". Told him I was an expert (I had read about
how it worked). A lot easier back when they had sight glass so you
could see the bubbles/liquid coming out of the condenser. I still
have two or three one pound cans of R12 sitting on a shelf in the
garage. Price tag on them reads 99 cents!!

Wear goggles. That stuff can freeze your eyeballs.

A/C systems today are a lot different from those in the 60's. Just
slapping some more refrigerant in there can damage the system.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Same problem then. If you got liquid into the compressor it could
crack it. Still the same principal. Compress hot gas, cool it to a
liquid, let it expand again. But with the sight valve it was "too
easy" for the do it yourself guy. You could just "top it off" until
you got liquid out of the condenser. Wasn't necessarily full but it
was "good enough". Gauges were nice to have too.;

Best auto wax? samson Woodworking 10 June 12th 07 09:54 PM
auto repair Saint Blurpaedius XXX Home Repair 8 September 14th 05 09:47 AM
auto detailing 101 Karl Townsend Metalworking 6 February 2nd 05 08:00 PM
Auto battery Ken Sterling Metalworking 35 February 3rd 04 11:31 PM