Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Bob Bob is offline

Default A Sewing Machine For The Workshop

On Jun 30, 5:51 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On occasion I find myself needing to create items for the home
workshop that require a sewing machine.

I am looking for recommendations in what to look for in a sewing
machine that will handle a number of differnet materials (canvas,
cotton, thin leather)

Any suggestions?

Any suggested machines?

Thanks

TMT

See if you can find a Singer 20U somewhere -- it's originally a
tailor's machine, but pretty heavy duty -- all iron and steel, all
gear driven. It will do straight and zigzag. I made all the canvas
work and much of the interior upholstery for my sailboat with one, and
have used it for drapes, leather, and misc. sewing ever since. It
didn't have any problems sewing through multiple layers of heavy
canvas, even on the corner patches and reinforcements.

Regards,

Bob