Rex B

Default Strategies for dealing with stuff/supply/material collections?

I store "Stuff" in plastic totes in metal shelves. Shelves are adjusted so the
totes just fit, 2 per shelf.
In addition, I've picked up a few bakers racks, the SS racks on casters, I
have bought plastic boxes that fit the rails. On some I have made wood shelves
to hold specific items. These are "task-oriented" as they can be moved to the
work - car or machine. For example, one is for battery maintenance. It holds
a booster charger, various battery testers & tools, plus holddowns, cables, ends
etc.

(GTO69RA4) wrote in message
|| OK, the Big Question that hangs over the heads of so many of us. I have a
large
|| (for a basement shop anyway) stash of all kinds of stuff. Supplies,
fasteners,
|| parts, equipment, whatever. My problem isn't storage per se (so recommending
|| Vidmar cabinets won't help in this case), because I have vast ranks of
shelves,
|| cabinets, and boxes with everything in them, but the fact that my neat
storage
|| is occupying most of the spatial volume. Running out of room for people and
|| tools.
|| What kind of tactics do you guys take to maintaining stashes of things
without
|| it getting out of hand? I'm not talking just junk here--mostly good stuff
that
|| now and then I find myself dipping into. Lots of boxes of switches, oddball
|| screws, whatever. What kind of "supply line" do you keep? How much
backstocked
|| stuff? What do you do when it's time to thin out the flock?
|| Sorry for asking such a broad question, but it's a lot easier to work
through
|| this kind of thing with outside input. Or rather outside input that doesn't
say
|| "well why don't you just toss all this out" while looking and your drill
press
|| and bandsaw. You guys must have developed methods to deal with the madness.
|| GTO(John)

Rex in Fort Worth