Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default How do I kill trees when all that is left is the stump?

"Steve" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 02:34:44 GMT, "JimR" put together
some
random words that came up with:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Rod wrote:
I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk.
I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet
they continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once
and
for all?

"Paint" the stumps w/ Roundup or 2,4-D. If some leaves come back again,
let them and then spray them too for better takeup. If spray though, if
there's grass to not be killed, use the 2,4-D, not the Roundup, of
course.

Also, it's best to hit them with an herbicide like Roundup immediately
after
cutting them, so that the wound doesn't heal over. For invasives like
Brazilian Pepper you should try to use the herbicide within the first
minute
or two after lopping off the growing part.

Find a rental place and rent a stump grinder. It shouldn't cost much and it
will get the whole stump out in less than an hour.

My guess is that the insurance will be more than hiring someone in to do the
job. It only cost me $25 to have someone do this dangerous job.