Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Hook tools

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 09:35:25 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

Morning Jesse,

Another way to make 'hook tools' is to grind flat stock or tool bits
etc. to shapes that are basically hooks. I like the shape of the
'Viking' for end grain. It is robust, doesn't pack the shavings and it's
easy to grind & sharpen. Look in catalogs or Soren Berger's website for
a pic. I think it is essentially a hook tool. A grinder and a few tool
bits and you have a set up for experimenting.

Well, even though I had said "forge" when talking about the fully
round "hook" (more of an eye, really), it would seem to me that the
easiest way to do it would be grind it about 90% and then heat-treat
it with the forge. I don't know if that's "smart" or "lazy", but I
always like to go with the easiest option. Grinding a true hook shape
might be a different story, and I think I can forge that much more
easily than it can be ground.

Hope I'm not too far off topic. You might really just want to fire up
your forge, but be careful. Someone will accuse you of inconveniently
warming the globe.

No doubt, but those people tend to get nervous about confronting a big
guy with a four pound hammer in his hand, I think... At least, no one
has tried to stop me yet.