Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default tapcon hell

wrote:
Anyone have experience with small tapcon concrete screws? 1/4" head,
about 2" length. I can't get them in. I tried a socket, all my weight
on it, I'm lucky to get 2 turns before it strips. Why they put such a
low profile hex head on something that needs this much force is beyond
me. Whatever this blue coating is doesn't help I'm sure. Then I move
on to a flat head screwdriver, takes all my strength and weight to
turn it, 5 minutes later it's 1/2" in and then the slot is chewed
open. So then I grab the vice grips, clamp it and start turning, the
head snaps off within a few turns, it's not even an inch in. I drill
the holes an extra inch deeper and blow it out with compressed air,
makes no difference. I'm using the bit that came with the screws.

WTF? Am I missing something? This is run of the mill garage floor
concrete, the direction say drill a damn hole and use a screwdriver to
sink it in? Should I try oil lubrication? My floor has several holes
with snapped off anchors now.

Time to review the instructions. You are supposed to power drive them
with the suggested driver tool.