Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Mac Disaster

:Jerry: wrote:

they look 'right'), but for many it *will* be about saving money [1] -
if it means spending as much buying the tools as it would to get a
'man in' why bother?!

There are occasions where I have done a job that has required tool
purchase - and the total cost was comparable to getting someone else to
do it. The difference is, that at the end of the job you get to keep the
tool. So the next time it will be cheaper. (of course if there never is
a "next time" then you just get some more clutter to store! ;-)

[1] I don't know who old you are Andy but that is how 'Do It Yourself'
started in the UK, as anyone who remembers magazines like 'Practical
Householder' (what ever did happen to PH?) in the '60's & '70's will
remember, as a necessity rather than a hobby.

I am sure thinks like home furniture building existed as a hobby before
then, although "DIY" obviously did not have the profile it has now. A
large part of that is the things we expect from our living spaces has
changed dramatically over the years, and hence the range of home
improvements that are available and calling for our money has grown
enormously.

--
Cheers,

John.