Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor Drivel is offline

Default Mac Disaster

wrote in message
ups.com...
Diy tools a
Sold mainly through diy outlets
Have both brands widely recognised by diy'ers and diy outlets own
brands
Tend to be loaded with features/gimmicks
Put greater emphasis on price than build quality
Prioritise price over durability
Cordless tools tend to have slow chargers, single batteries and less
good cell life

Professional tools a
*differentiated by manufacturers from their diy ranges*
Sold mainly through trade outlets
Concentrate on brands widely recognised by professionals
Have limited features/gimmicks
Put greater emphasis on build quality than price
Prioritise durability over price
Cordless tools tend to have fast chargers, multiple batteries with
very good cell life

Based on those factors, I'd say the 100 quid Sparky impact driver just
about makes it to the pro side.

The £100 is because it is made in Eastern Europe - rates of exchange make it
cheap. Sparky is a German company.

Ryobi OTOH is one of the few companies (possibly the only?) that
chooses to blur the diy/pro distinction

They cleverly aim for both markets with the same products. Confusion is
that they have not been in the Makita, DeWalt range for years, so image is
blurred. The ONE+ range, using the one battery for a whole range of tools,
is clearly aimed at the pro market. Feedback from these products is good.
They are well priced and good.

I'd also say - generally - that 100 quid is about the absolute max
price that the diy will stand.

I would say way over the top for a DIY product - and £139 is clearly pro.
Far, far less than £100 gets suitable DIY tools.

There are sub 100 quid pro tools - but I tend to notice that when
these are sold through diy outlets the retailers choose a price point
with a significant gap from their other products - unlike their usual
custom of a continuous spectrum in 5 and 10 pound increments.