Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor Drivel is offline

Default Mac Disaster

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

I agree with John. DIY does not equate to cheap.

But then niether of you are what most would call 'the average DIYer',

Well neither are the majority of regulars on this group, I am sure that
between us we have a fairly fearsome idea of just what is DIYable!

if the average DIYer only bought "the best" places like B&Q would not
offer lines that don't sell, but what do we find stocked - plenty of
cheap (some would say) crap but the more expencive (and some would say)
better tools are noticeable by their absence - go into a true trade
outlet and the opposite is the case...

That is beginning to change a little I have noticed. Our local B&Q has a
reasonable range of high end kit as well as the own brand badged stuff and
mid range kit... blue Bosch, Makita etc. Wickes have started doing
Hitachi, and I don't go in Homebase enough to know what they do. It would
seem as the general populous gets more DIY savvy they are obviously
creating a market for the higher end tools. This is perhaps not surprising
since it seems quite common to buy something cheapish to see if you get
good use from it, and then trade up to something better when you find you
do.

Wickes have a three ranges: DIY (1 yr guarantee), semi-pro (3 yr) and full
pro (5 yr). Then the Hitchai range at 1 year. I know of no other pro tool
with a 5 yr guarantee.

I recall one assisteant a few years back when they only has pro and DIY
saying that most tools sold were DIY; professionals would buy them. Now it
appears the pros will buy the semi-pro if cutting back on costs.

My point is, people buy the best tool for what they will be *doing*, not
simply the tool with the best build quality. There is little point in
someone who is only ever going to put up the odd shelf in buying a DaWalt
drill, OTOH their is little point in someone who is (re)building their
own house buying a 19.99 ukp own brand special.

The outlaw bought cheap budget PP drill for extensive re-work in the house.
It failed of course - he does use it like a hammer though and if treated
right probably would have been OK. He then went out and bought the pro
range from Wickes and has been well chuffed as it can take the abuse.

The PP drill is fine for occasional use - its intended market. It does the
job very well and as good as any top brand. It just can't take abuse and
sustained daily pro use. Horses for courses - get the right tool/quality
for the intended use. On price even if the outlaw had to replace the failed
PP drill, it would still be cheaper than buying a pro drill as thety are so
cheap. So don't slag off the cheapies as they can be very cost effective,
even if you have to buy two of them to get a big job done.

The problems occurs when people buy on price rather than on what the tool
will be asked to do, on the one hand they have expensive tools that get
under used and last until the cows come home (no real problem with that,
assuming that they haven't mortgaged the kids to buy the tools...), but
on the other hand we get people buying the cheapest and then knackering
the tool within a couple of months after having used them constantly 12+
hrs a day - it's these people who then claim that the tool is crap and
should never be on sale!

There are relatively few tools that I would place in the truly crap
category, although for many people buying just on price will prove to be a
false economy since they will often end up buying it again.

--
Cheers,

John.