Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default tapcon hell

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:45:16 -0700, wrote:

Anyone have experience with small tapcon concrete screws? 1/4" head,
about 2" length. I can't get them in. I tried a socket, all my weight
on it, I'm lucky to get 2 turns before it strips. Why they put such a
low profile hex head on something that needs this much force is beyond
me. Whatever this blue coating is doesn't help I'm sure. Then I move
on to a flat head screwdriver, takes all my strength and weight to
turn it, 5 minutes later it's 1/2" in and then the slot is chewed
open. So then I grab the vice grips, clamp it and start turning, the
head snaps off within a few turns, it's not even an inch in. I drill
the holes an extra inch deeper and blow it out with compressed air,
makes no difference. I'm using the bit that came with the screws.

WTF? Am I missing something? This is run of the mill garage floor
concrete, the direction say drill a damn hole and use a screwdriver to
sink it in? Should I try oil lubrication? My floor has several holes
with snapped off anchors now.

What are you anchoring to the floor? Two inches sounds long. I just
anchored some shelving tracts in a wall that was form poured HARD concrete,
and they went in like a breeze. The geek at HD (of all places) told me to
use the 1 1/2" ones. I woulda used the 2" ones if he hadn't told me. After
reading the f - ing directions, the pullout rating on the 1 1/2" is about
what the 2" is. The tracks sit 1/2" off the wall, so it only uses 1 " of
grip. If I was anchoring to soft grouted masonry, I'd use longer ones, but
then, if it was soft grouted masonry, I'd be using sleeve anchors.

Something's wrong at your house. Shorten up on the fasteners, blow out the
hole, chase the drill a time or two extra, make sure you are using the right
drill, and if it still don't work, just get the right fastener.

Steve