Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Hook tools

Hello all-

We're having a little break from the heat this weekend in my neck of
the woods, so I'm contemplating firing up the forge and making myself
a few more turning tools. (I didn't realise when I made it, but a gas
forge is a bad option when the weather turns hot when compared to a
coal one, and I haven't had the fortitude to use it much this summer!)

The psuedo-Oland type tool I've got in mind (with a toolbit inserted
into the end of a bar rather than through the side) should be easy
enough, but the hook tool raises a question or two in my mind.

The way I see it, there are two ways for me to make one of these- I
can either draw out the end of a bar, chamfer it, and then fold it
over to literally make a hook, or I can just hammer the end of some
flat stock into a circle shape, drill or punch a hole in the center,
then finish forming it by countersinking before I heat treat it.

In either case, I'll probably be sharpening with a grinding point in
the die-grinder or dremel tool, but I'm just wondering if one design
would work better than the other for some reason. The material will
be 1095 high-carbon steel (also known as W1 tool steel) because that
is what I have, and it takes a nice sharp edge after hardening and
tempering.

I intend to just leave the remainder of the bar on the end of the hook
as the handle, so that I can reforge it when it eventually wears out.
It'll most likely be 3/8-1/2" thick, and about 3/4" in diameter, as
that would involve the least amount of hammering (1095 is tough stuff,
even when hot.)

So, if anyone has any preferences or thoughts about these two styles,
I'd appreciate a quick review! Either one will take some time and
effort to make properly, so I'd like to go with the best design I can.