Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Remodeling upstairs condo, power out downstairs condo

Tony Hwang wrote:
Norminn wrote:

Arggggghhhhh! New owner of condo above ours has gutted his kitchen
and is putting down Pergo-type flooring in other rooms. We began
having trouble with one or another electrical circuits going out in
our condo whilst he worked upstairs. The first time, he was hammering
almost above where I was sitting and at the same moment, power went
out in our dining room and adjoining office area. Went out and reset
the breaker, aok. Then, twice, the elec. to our two baths and small
hallway went out. I didn't notice when it happened, as I don't use
those lights during the day. We reset the breaker once, and aok, but
reset the breaker next time and now the power won't come on to the
baths and hallway. The guy wasn't truthful, I believe, when he told
me he was working in a different area the first time it happened. I
haven't seen his condo, but hubby said kitchen is gutted to the studs
with wires hanging all over. He allegedly has an electrician. His
unit is same layout as ours, but entirely separate breaker panels. I
assume much of our wiring would be beneath his floor.

I have called the city building dept, no response yet, and fire insp.,
not their job. I think he must have put a nail through a wire, but I
don't know electricity or breaker panels or ohms or watts. Can the
vibration from his work wiggle something loose in the main panel? Any
other ideas? My dryer is broken, waiting for a part, and I can't
handle this much stress all at once )

Hi,
Talk to condo manager or raise the issue with condo board.

We have only 8 units in our condo. Two owned by lush deadbeats,
father and son. Son is months behind on monthly assessment and hasn't
begun to pay a $2200 special assessment. Condo pres. is best buddies
with them. Did I mention the father and son are both on the board? The
father had a million-dollar sailboat, lives here part-time....home in
the Bahamas. Unfortunately, he appears to be in good health. A lien?
Not much good, unless one of them croaks. One unit owner lives in
England, one in Jersey. The neighbor who wrecked my wiring told me he
has a likely buyer...owned his unit since March.