Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default tapcon hell

I also had a lot of problems. The hardware guy said that they work best in
new concrete and that my 30 year old concrete was "too hard". Go figure!

Smarty

"dicko" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:45:16 -0700, wrote:

Anyone have experience with small tapcon concrete screws? 1/4" head,
about 2" length. I can't get them in. I tried a socket, all my weight
on it, I'm lucky to get 2 turns before it strips. Why they put such a
low profile hex head on something that needs this much force is beyond
me. Whatever this blue coating is doesn't help I'm sure. Then I move
on to a flat head screwdriver, takes all my strength and weight to
turn it, 5 minutes later it's 1/2" in and then the slot is chewed
open. So then I grab the vice grips, clamp it and start turning, the
head snaps off within a few turns, it's not even an inch in. I drill
the holes an extra inch deeper and blow it out with compressed air,
makes no difference. I'm using the bit that came with the screws.

WTF? Am I missing something? This is run of the mill garage floor
concrete, the direction say drill a damn hole and use a screwdriver to
sink it in? Should I try oil lubrication? My floor has several holes
with snapped off anchors now.

Thats pretty much the same experience I had. I bought the drill bit,
I cleaned out the holes and I couldnt drive them in if my life
depended on it.

I finally gave up and just used normal mollies and I've never even
looked at a Tapcon since.

-dickm