Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default tapcon hell

wrote:
Anyone have experience with small tapcon concrete screws? 1/4" head,
about 2" length. I can't get them in. I tried a socket, all my
weight on it, I'm lucky to get 2 turns before it strips. Why they
put such a low profile hex head on something that needs this much
force is beyond me. Whatever this blue coating is doesn't help I'm
sure. Then I move on to a flat head screwdriver, takes all my
strength and weight to turn it, 5 minutes later it's 1/2" in and
then the slot is chewed open. So then I grab the vice grips, clamp
it and start turning, the head snaps off within a few turns, it's
not even an inch in. I drill the holes an extra inch deeper and
blow it out with compressed air, makes no difference. I'm using the
bit that came with the screws.

WTF? Am I missing something? This is run of the mill garage floor
concrete, the direction say drill a damn hole and use a screwdriver
to sink it in? Should I try oil lubrication? My floor has several
holes with snapped off anchors now.

I've never had one break but I've had a few that were hard to drive IF
I STOPPED DRIVING BEFORE THEY WERE ALL THE WAY IN. I generally use a
3/8 drill to drive them, apply a *lot* of down pressure and let the
square drive bit cam out.

You might try lubricating them but not with oil...cake soap or
beeswax.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...