Ed Huntress

Default Old Steel - New Steel

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
. com...

AHSS might be something to deal with someday.

HSLA (high-strength, low-alloy) steels used in cars for the past 20

years
have already given the mini-mills a few challenges.

Ed Huntress

I bet. I suspect some were using measuring cup method to make steel and

had
to switch to tea spoon or better when formulating a real steel that had

tight specs.
Suspect a real chemist is at work - and/or metallurgist.

Yeah, making it is tricky. But I was referring to its effects on the
scrap/remelt (minimill) industry. It creates some problems, or it did, from
what I've read about it.

But I haven't covered steelmaking for a lot of years. It may all be solved
now for all I know.

Ed Huntress