Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Drywall & Receptacles

Kitep wrote:
"Kitep" wrote in message
I bought a house, a real fixer-upper One problem is that a lot
of the holes cut in the drywall to fit around the receptacles are
too large, so that the fins on the plug don't catch - it just keeps
going till it's flush with the box, which of course if flush with
the stud. So, the plug sits about 1/2 inch too deep.

Finally picked up some box extenders, so I thought I'd give an update.

The extenders didn't work. They depend on fins catching the drywall,
and the people who put in the drywall didn't unscrew the plugs, they
just cut a bigger hole. So here's what I did:

I bought a regular box. Set my table saw for 3/8" and cut. Put the
rectangle in the hole, and found I really needed 3/8" on 1 corner and
1/8" on the opposite corner. So I marked it with a permanent marker.
Then pulled out my angle grinder and grinded away. Now it extends
the box flush with the wall and is code-compliant. Cheap too, if you
don't count my time Now I just have to do it again & again &
again (about 12 times total).

The mark of a true home-owner; lots of things to work on g