Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default auto air conditioner

Herb and Eneva wrote:
This is kinda sorta home repair. I need to recharge
the a/c on a 1999 chrysler and the local garage wants $124 to do the
job. That seems too high for me. Can I get a can of R134 from auto zone
and do it myself? If I can please tell me how to do it after I find the
leak. TIA

It "sounds easy" but it isn't really....

Auto AC systems have far less refrigerant storage capacity than they
used to, sometimes as low as a total weight of a pound and a half of gas.

Put in a little too much refrigerant and you stand a good chance of
having the compressor blow itself up trying to compress liquid.

Nothing about fixin' cars is as simple as it was years ago, dammit.

I used to be able to do stuff like recharge an car's AC with one hand
behind my back and my eyes closed. I even installed some aftermarket AC
systems in my own cars back around 1960 and they worked slicker than
snot on a brass doorknob too.

Now I find myself having to fix my cars with my checkbook more often
than with my tools.

Listen to the majority advice here and let someone with experience and
the proper equipment do the job. Use your time doing what you do for a
living and earn the bucks to pay for having the job done right.

Just my .02,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia