Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Stuck pad lock

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 14:32:23 -0400, Just Joshin
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:49:47 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

I've got a cheapish (Master) rubberized lock on an outside gate that has not

Master isn't cheap, imo.

been opened in a while. So it won't open when I turn the key now. I don't
know if the key is not turning fully or if the shackles are stuck.

What's the best approach, whack it with a hammer?

I had the same thing with another lock type. I found that for a few
bucks, you can rent a big-arse set of bolt cutters from a tool rental
place.

hth,

Maybe not. I've talked to a friend of mine who runs a mini-storage,
with maybe 300 padlocks, and when the tenants lose keys or the lock
won't work, if has a thick shackle, even the big bolt cutters won't go
around it or won't bite when they do, or maybe if it is hardened too
they don't work. They have to use an angle grinder and it takes 15 or
20 minutes.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info