Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default Houseful of interior trim to paint

In article wFOgi.1290$w2.93@trnddc01, dadiOH says...

jeffc wrote:
Let's say you've got a house full of natural wood trim
(polyurethane), and you really want it semi-gloss white. Would you
paint it, or just buy new preprimed trim? If you paint, do you
degloss first, or just put on the primer and then paint over?

Paint

Degloss first
sand
- OR -
use TSP (trisodium phosphate)

Yep. I'd not sand, I'd use TSP. Wipe down well. Prime (Bin), and paint.

Before I decided to use a redwood color stain after my remodel (gosh did I let
myself in for a project!), I used Ben Moore's White Dove alkyd paint on all
trim; it's a very good off-white for that. The alkyd does tend to yellow where
there is no light (closets, inside of kitchen cabinets) so if I were to do it
again I'd use the latex. Still very nice.

Banty