Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remodeling upstairs condo, power out downstairs condo

On Jun 28, 6:18 am, Norminn wrote:
clipped

I'm curious as to why the condo association won't do anything. Surely
they have the power to enforce compliance with the association
bylaws/rules, and to levy fines for non-compliance? And even if they
don't, I should think the city would do something.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

It is the condo association from hell, and the sister-in-law from hell
is the president of the board; got all the guys by the short hairs. She
assaulted me about 5 years ago, so I will not have contact with her for
any reason. A previous president, when main sewer line was clogged and
sewage backing up into my unit, refused to do anything. "We obviously
need a plumber." That was a common-elements problem, for the board to
tend to. I did type up a letter to the association yesterday, and by
the time I finished my hands were shaking so violently I couldn't hit
the keys. I just don't "go there" any more. Or try not to.

Sending the letter is a very good idea. I would send two copies, one
registered mail with a receipt and one regular mail. Don't get
nasty, but just spell out clearly your concerns about what is going on
and the possible fire hazard. Are you sure the wiring is a common
element? Usually, anything like wiring/plumbing that serves only one
unit is that units responsibility.

I'd also check with the town and see if he's pulled any permits. If
he's really gutted his kitchen, then there should be permits pulled.
And most places, they have to be posted in a viisible spot. Check
that out first, as it's good additional info to include in the condo
letter.

If none of that produces results, then I'd call in an electrician.
Have him find/fix the problem and then send the bill to the upstairs
owner, followed by small claims, if needed.