Posted to rec.woodworking
BillinDetroit BillinDetroit is offline

Default CRAFTSMAN ROUTER MODEL NO. 315.175040

Conrad wrote:
Thanks for the info on the "crapsman" tools I pick it up at a garage sale
with no instructions.

Conrad, I was given (freebie) a brand new Craftsman router and was quite
tickled to get it -- until I tried to route a groove with it. The bit
walked out of the collet and the groove kept getting deeper and deeper.

That was pretty unsettling. I've worked around high-speed equipment for
years -- the collet was properly tightened. I reset it and re-tightened
it, this time over-tightening by a wide margin but getting the same result.

It's a well-known 'feature' of their routers sometimes referred to as
"automatic depth adjustment" or "variable bit heighth". Carried to the
logical conclusion, the results could be painful.

I'm not familiar with that model ... but I retired my 1/4" Craftsman
router almost immediately -- before it could 'retire' me.

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000752-2, 06/27/2007
Tested on: 6/28/2007 1:46:08 AM