Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Remodeling upstairs condo, power out downstairs condo

Norminn wrote:
Arggggghhhhh! New owner of condo above ours has gutted his kitchen and
is putting down Pergo-type flooring in other rooms. We began having
trouble with one or another electrical circuits going out in our condo
whilst he worked upstairs. The first time, he was hammering almost
above where I was sitting and at the same moment, power went out in our
dining room and adjoining office area. Went out and reset the breaker,
aok. Then, twice, the elec. to our two baths and small hallway went
out. I didn't notice when it happened, as I don't use those lights
during the day. We reset the breaker once, and aok, but reset the
breaker next time and now the power won't come on to the baths and
hallway. The guy wasn't truthful, I believe, when he told me he was
working in a different area the first time it happened. I haven't seen
his condo, but hubby said kitchen is gutted to the studs with wires
hanging all over. He allegedly has an electrician. His unit is same
layout as ours, but entirely separate breaker panels. I assume much of
our wiring would be beneath his floor.

I have called the city building dept, no response yet, and fire insp.,
not their job. I think he must have put a nail through a wire, but I
don't know electricity or breaker panels or ohms or watts. Can the
vibration from his work wiggle something loose in the main panel? Any
other ideas? My dryer is broken, waiting for a part, and I can't handle
this much stress all at once )

Hi,
Talk to condo manager or raise the issue with condo board.