Posted to alt.home.repair
William Underhill William Underhill is offline

Default Remodeling upstairs condo, power out downstairs condo

Norminn wrote:
Speedy Jim wrote:
Charles wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
k.net...

I have called the city building dept, no response yet, and fire
insp., not their job. I think he must have put a nail through a
wire, but I don't know electricity or breaker panels or ohms or
watts. Can the vibration from his work wiggle something loose in
the main panel? Any other ideas? My dryer is broken, waiting for a
part, and I can't handle this much stress all at once )

Vibration can indeed cause problems, but that's unusual. My guess is
that the remodeling project shorted a circuit and tripped a breaker.
The wiring in some buildings is weird. A breaker is tripped
somewhere ... just my guess. Good luck!

If the place was wired using "back-stab" devices, vibration
could well be to blame.

Since one problem involved bath recepts, check that any GFCI
recepts are Reset.

Jim

I don't know what a "back-stab" device is. Our condo is ground floor,
on slab, about 40 y/o, Florida. Condo assn. won't do anything - the
wiring is "common element" and theirs to repair. Called city building
dept. - guy upstairs has no building permit. Haven't heard back.

"Back-stab" devices have holes on the back sized to the gauge of wire
intended to be used - for most interior domestic situations, 14-ga.
wires. They are easier to use than screw terminals, as all you have to
do is strip the insulation on each lead back about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch
or so and push the bare copper end into the hole. Many such switches and
outlets have a groove of exactly the right length; strip it back that
much and it will fit perfectly.

The screw terminals are more work, because you have to strip, then curve
the end of the wire, back off the screw, work the wire in, tighten the
screw... but it makes a much more secure connection. I'm in the process
of leisurely renovating in my own place, and as I do each room, one of
the things I do is move wires from the back-stabs to the screw terminals.

I'm curious as to why the condo association won't do anything. Surely
they have the power to enforce compliance with the association
bylaws/rules, and to levy fines for non-compliance? And even if they
don't, I should think the city would do something.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from