Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] robwc.2007@gmail.com is offline

Default Kenmore 417 front loader washer: There should be class action suit on this machine!

On Jun 27, 9:44 am, wrote:
wrote:
had the same problem with my washer (same model). I wound up fixing
it myself for a couple of hundred dollars, and it's as good as new. I
was able to get a new complete drum assembly for that price, and
simply swap it. Other people have reported being able to simply
replace the bearings for about $50 or so, plus 2-3 hours of work.

More information hehttp://applianceguru.com/forum2/834.html

But how hard was it to replace that drum assembly by
yourself? Looks like a mess of bolts and nuts and
screws in there!

I replaced the entire drum unit (inner drum, both outer shells). I
was able to get the part from Sears (Canada) for 152.99 at the time.
Apparently, the part costs $300-400 in the US right now.

It was actually pretty straightforward to do the swap. It would have
taken longer if I wanted to replace the bearings only (I would have
had to take apart the shell, and it would probably add a couple of
hours to the job).

Here is the guide I followed to remove and replace the drum set:
http://www.zenzoidman.com/documents/RearBearingV6.pdf