Posted to alt.home.repair
William Underhill William Underhill is offline

Default GFI question

Tony Hwang wrote:
Nguy n Thanh Tu n wrote:
gntry wrote:

I have a dedicated 20 amp line for my pool. I have a GFI outlet by
the deck
for the filter. I want to install a single pole switch in the house
to turn
the filter on and off from inside. If I install a switch, will the
GFI trip
everytime you turn the power off to the GFI?

www.gfi.com

Hi,
No. An exmple. Bathrooms are GFI protected. Turning lights on/off
in the bathroom does not trip breaker. There are GFI outlet and GFI
breaker.

Note that in houses wired according to code, the GFI-protected outlets
in the bathroom are on a different circuit from the bathroom lighting.
Nevertheless, Tony is correct; the GFI will not trip if you wire the
switch into the circuit. Make *very* sure you wire the switch in the hot
line, not the neutral line.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from