Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default Drilled well question...

wrote:
I have a 725 foot drilled well (normal in my area) with a problem.
From what I have read, it seems there is a concrete material used to

seal contaminates on the outside of the pipe from draining down into
the water. Two weeks after completion, I started to get oil and
natural gas in my water. Is it possible that this sealant has failed?
Can it be repaired? Any other ideas.

One can encounter oil (petroleum) in many places where there are no commercial
oil wells (presumably not economical).
The petroleum may be below the level of the seal. The seal is usually only
for (near) surface contaminants. In my area (wells typically 200-300 feet),
the seal is only for the top 50 feet and pea gravel below that.
If the driller knew that he was drilling through oil bearing rock, he
could have put less pea gravel in and had the concrete seal go through the
oil bearing layer.

Are you sure that this is natural petroleum and not some
man made water contamination? How do you know that it is
natural gas (methane), and not something else (carbon dioxide? H2S?)?
How much is there?

Talk to the driller, you local regulators who worry about wells & water quality,
and maybe a geologist.

I don't know if it is possible to fix the well, but it may be possible
to treat the water.