Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Insulate steel garage door?

J.A. Michel wrote:
"Stupid48" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a pretty standard steel double garage door. My garage gets up
to about 145 degrees during the summer mostly because my house faces
the sun pretty much all day. Is there any value to me adding
insulation to the garage door panels? It seems to me that some kind
of styrofoam insulation would fit perfectly in the panels. I've seen
the kind with the metallic coating on it before. Would this help or
am I wasting my time?

Thanks, Chris

Wasting your time & money.

Not hardly. Have you ever touched the inside of a sheet metal garage door
exposed to full sun? They become a big radiant heater. And if the rest of
the garage is well insulated, the heat is trapped and very efficiently
retained.

I had the same situation as the OP, and once the doors were insulated the
interior temp dropped from an average 135F to 85F.

If it really gets 145 degrees in there,
then you have bigger issues than the garage doors.

Not really.

You need to insulate the whole thing along with the doors....

Commented on above. Big radiant heaters + well insulated garage = massive
heat build up.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com