Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default 220V outlet "blown"?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:48:41 GMT, "Laurie"
wrote:

Yes, it was a multimeter with a 400v range - see my post to Terry at 9:34 -

I saw that later.

That might even have been before I posted, but like most people, I
retrieve usenet posts in batch, so that it can be a while after
retrieving before I read a post, and longer to repply, during which
there are new posts I ahven't retrieved yet.I can be finishing a post

that was exactly what I did (and thank you for the very elementary
explanation - when I'm learning something new that there's nothing at all
wrong with as many single syllable words as possible in the explanation!
:-))

You wrote:
Have a problem with women do we? I'm not an idiot, but thanks for
your profound advice.

He said nothing about women. You're new here, aren't you? How do you
know he doesn't treat everyone this way?

I am new here, but no usenet newbie, and I did look through history to see
who he replied to and how. His posts appeared to be generally terse but
respectful, occasionally informative, unlike his response to me.

Not always repsectful. I even had him plonked for a few weeks. (The
only one I can remember unplonking.)

Plus you started it when you said that 220v scares the crap out of
you, plus the mistakes you made in the description of the problem. I
don't mind feminism or whatever, but crying anti-woman for no good
reason discredits feminisim or whatever, and it's like crying wolf.
When there is a real femininist or whatever issue, no one will take
you seriously.

Why did you play the gender card for no reason?

I rarely use the gender card. I have no problem declaring my ignorance in
things electrical but lately have been learning some basics for a few
repairs such as replacing light fixtures, outlets and switches without
having to call in an electrician. That was why I came here - to ask for new
information, which I received. Ignorance in posting cries out for
education, which you and others went ahead and provided and I appreciate.

I felt there was sufficient indication to play the gender card as IMO it
seemed the most logical explanation for the reply.

Nope. He said nothing about women. And there are lots of people here
who tell people to call electricians, often rudely, male or female.
It depends on a lot of things, including how they ask the questions.

Even if perchance you were right, it looks like you weren't.