Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Extra wirenut in 1954 switchbox

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 00:26:26 GMT, Bob wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
'allo,

I belong to a little brick bungalow in a midwest city, built in 1954.

It came with a single-gang box with a standard 2-position switch to
control a ceiling fan/light assembly.

Whilst replacing the switch, I noted the usual red and black wires.
One of the black wires was stripped about 1 " in the middle (where
the wire was not cut), kinked, and wire-nutted (nothing else in the
nut, just the kink). Both the strip and the wire nut serve no
purpose whatsoever that I can see.

Just about anything could have been done in the past 53 years. Is this
midwest city anywhere near Chicago, where wiring is in conduit? If so,
you can check the other end of the run (the fixture box would be the
first place to check).

St. Louis.

From your description I would infer that it may
have at one time been the source feed for two switches in the box.

Single box. No room for another switch.

Are
the fan and light separately switched?

No.

Probably was a double switch that installed in a single gang box, they used
a receptacle cover plate with one switch in each place where an outlet would
normally be. Probably someone replaced it with a single switch or couldn't
find a double replacement. They are still available if you look. In Decora
style you can even get a triple switch, although wiring them must be
difficult and cramped.