Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default connecting Steel pipe to plastic OR copper

On Jun 25, 7:04 am, wrote:
In my downstairs cloakroom I have the mains water coming in and a stop
cock in the room. The piping then runs along the wall and then up and
into the ceiling. It is pretty unsightly and I want to hide it by
chasing it into the wall. The problem is that it is old steel piping
which is not going to be too easy to manipulate.

What i want to do is replace a section of the pipe with plastic or
copper (probably plastic due to the corrosion problems) but how do you
connect steel piping to plastic piping? Is it possible?

I really don't want to replace the entire thing as a quick decoration
of the cloakroom is rapidly turning itno a huge multi-room job!!

Any thoughts?

there are adapters on the shelves at lowe's hardware. there is older
hard cpvc that glues together; now there's some soft new flexible hose
stuff too.
however: once you start opening the old galvanized pipe, you will see
how restricted the water flow is inside and want to replace it.
i did this is to bring the arriving fast water at the basement to the
rest of the slow faucets upstairs. regardless of the expert advice of
others, i use a minimum of 3/4" inside diameter water lines throughout
the home. not 1/2". this will provide improved flow even in a low
water pressure area [like my 42 psi.]
you must have fast water arriving in the main at the basement for all
this to work, of course.