Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default Insulate steel garage door?

On Jun 25, 3:50 am, Stupid48 wrote:
I have a pretty standard steel double garage door. My garage gets up
to about 145 degrees during the summer mostly because my house faces
the sun pretty much all day. Is there any value to me adding
insulation to the garage door panels? It seems to me that some kind
of styrofoam insulation would fit perfectly in the panels. I've seen
the kind with the metallic coating on it before. Would this help or
am I wasting my time?

Thanks, Chris

depending on your climate: the insulating r-value will determine if it
is helpful. if undesirable heat is entering the home from an attached
garage, increase the insulation in the connecting wall. the material
you are looking for should be a fire-retardant material. a temperature-
operated exhaust fan like an attic fan might be more effective.
structure and existing insulation and the garage's use are items to
review.