Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default One half done!

"Toller" wrote in message

"BillinDetroit" wrote in message
Toller wrote:

It seemed to be; no matter what I did it tore.
I am hoping it will behave differently when dry. It is ususally worse
when dry, but maybe willow is different.

Have you considered a drench with thin CA?

I buy (and sell) thin CA by the pint for this precise use. It soaks into
the punky parts and leaves them hard enough to work. (Allow a few hours
for the interior stuff to set up.) If finishing with gloss poly, it seems
invisible. Also good for stiffening up thin-walled sections.

Just a thought ... that larger vessel looks promising.

I didn't know you could do that. It doesn't get too hard?

Willow and the whole family of cottonwoods and true poplars has very soft
interlocked fiber. Turns much better when it's dry, because it stays to be
cut rather than presses down, bends up or tears. Don't hack at it to "make
the shavings fly," cut it in thin shavings with broad bevel support so they
slide out of the way. Since it is so soft you can get heel bruises even on
the dry wood, another reason not to press, pry and dig with the tool. Even
setting up with water will leave you some sanding to remove the compressed
areas. Of course that's easier on soft, even textured wood like willow, so
there's some silver there.

It also sucks water like a sponge. It'll do the same with CA, so you've
been warned. Unless you want stained areas, don't spread it.