Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Rope ratchet

Roger wrote:

One thing no one appears to have touched on is what happens should the
object being lifted jam on the way through the hatch. Unless there is
already someone else in the loft the situation would appear terminal
as there is no way to release the ascender (or for that matter the
rope ratchet that sparked this thread).

That occurred to me too, but I didn't get round to commenting on it.

Another thing is that if it's a tall wardrobe and if it only just goes
through the hatch, they'll need a *lot* of headroom immediately above the
hatch - because they probably won't be able to lean it over to miss the roof
timbers.
--
Cheers,
Roger