Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Screw Extractor - how to?

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:27:55 -0700, Joe wrote:

Did you read my earlier post?

He does seem to have ignored some of the posts, doesn't he.

I know from years doing mechanical work
that stubborn screws can be easily removed with an IMPACT DRIVER (not
an air impact wrench). This is a simple tool that works with another
simple tool, a hammer. Nearly 99% of professional mechanics will have
one in their toolbox, but the general public and every one of your
post responders seems to be blissfully unaware of this essential and

I know about these. I have two, and used them a lot on the old
motorcycle. But you had post already when I did, so no need to
mention them.

He's ignored my suggestion of left handed bits, also.

low cost device. For under $10 you can likely solve your problem, $15

JCWhitney has a good one with a big handle, and a rubber protection
bumper. They have the small one too.

if you need a hammer, and if it doesn't work due to corrosion or some
other mechanical mishap you can then do a drill out and Helicoil
routine knowing that the situation was hopeless to begin with. Good
luck.

Joe