Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default Rope ratchet

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jay Hendry pretended :
Jay Hendry wrote in
. 143.37:

OK cheers for the ideas - I'm not looking to use it to tie something
down but to hoist some furniture through a loft hatch. Now the hatch
is not much bigger than the wardrobe, that I've "been told" must go
up there so I figured if I get this attached above the hatch I can
pull on the rope and push up from underneath on the ladder and if I
need to take a break then the ratchet will lock it out.

Yeah, an ascender is designed for exactly that function, and will definitely
work.

But... I did the same thing recently (with an unassembled 60kg snooker
table only a few inches smaller than the hatch opening) and found it easiest
to use a hand-cranked winch (eg ebay 130127601753).

I temporarily fixed a length of 4x2 across 4 joists to spread the load above
the hatch - needs to be as high as possible, if you want to lift tall loads
right through the opening. Also consider removing the loft ladder. It
was then really easy to lift the box in tiny increments, whilst various
family members guided it from beneath.