Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Rope ratchet

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:55:45 +0000, Jay Hendry wrote:

Jay Hendry wrote in
. 143.37:

Hi

Not sure if this is the best group but does anyone know a UK dealer for
the above - they are at www.roperatchet.com? I remember them, or
something very similar, in Do-It-All, yes before it became Focus DIY,
back in the late 90's but didn't have a use for one then. Now that I
need one none of the DIY chains seem to have them and google doesn't
seem to list any UK sites selling them.

I guess various pulley and rope or ratchet straps are out there but none
will do what this seems able to do.

Thanx

Jay

OK cheers for the ideas - I'm not looking to use it to tie something down
but to hoist some furniture through a loft hatch. Now the hatch is not
much bigger than the wardrobe, that I've "been told" must go up there so I
figured if I get this attached above the hatch I can pull on the rope and
push up from underneath on the ladder and if I need to take a break then
the ratchet will lock it out.

I'll take a look at an online chandlers in the meantime.

Thanx

Jay

===================================
A 'Haltrac engine hoist' would probably suit your purpose but you would
almost certainly have to buy one second-hand (Ebay?). It would certainly
take the weight of a small wardrobe and it does lock. It uses nylon cord
so can be extended to give greater lift.

The easiest solution would be a builder's gin wheel but you would need to
tie off the rope from below possibly to a bannister or a piece of 3" x 2"
timber in a door frame.

I would suggest that you check the strength of your roof timbers if you
intend using them as an anchor point for your hoist. As far as I know roof
timbers are not intended to take any great strain such as attaching a
hoist.

Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux