Posted to alt.home.repair
Laurie Laurie is offline

Default 220V outlet "blown"?

Bob wrote:
Laurie wrote:
I have an Amana dryer on a 220V 3-prong receptacle. I was turning the
timer dial and suddenly there was a pop! and then nothing - there is
no power at the dryer - the light doesn't even come on. I checked the
fuse box and rthere were no tripped breakers, but just the same I
went ahead and flipped them all off and on. Still nothing.

In simple terms a 240 volt 3-wire circuit consists of two 120 volt
circuits with opposite polarity. The L-shaped contact is both the
neutral and ground. Measuring from there to each of the hot contacts
should show 120 volts, and there should be 240 volts between the hot
contacts.

Great - that makes sense and is helpful. I will check to see what it shows.

The fuses or breakers for this outlet should somehow be ganged
together. If cartridge fuses are used, typically the fuseholder has
two fuses. Pull it out and check the fuses with an ohmmeter. Often,
dryers are protected with two plug fuses in a separate enclosure with
a big on-off lever on the outside.

I used the term fuse when I should have said breaker - sorry. Toller said
it should be a 30a - don't have one of those, just 20's, 2-20's together (is
"ganged" the right word?) and then 50's and 2-50's.

I appreciate the help. I was looking for something separate in the garage
that might control the dryer circuit, but didn't see anything.