Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Extra wirenut in 1954 switchbox

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

'allo,

I belong to a little brick bungalow in a midwest city, built in 1954.

It came with a single-gang box with a standard 2-position switch to
control a ceiling fan/light assembly.

Whilst replacing the switch, I noted the usual red and black wires.
One of the black wires was stripped about 1 " in the middle (where
the wire was not cut), kinked, and wire-nutted (nothing else in the
nut, just the kink). Both the strip and the wire nut serve no
purpose whatsoever that I can see.

Has anyone seen anything like this? If so, know why they did it?
Near all the old wiring in this tiny house is extremely simple
and predictable: worries po' me when I see something I can't
explain.

My first guess is that it isn't one wire, but two.
If not, my second guess is that it used to have a second wire, but no longer
does.